Healthy and Delicious Turkey Meatloaf: A Comforting Classic
Meatloaf is a classic comfort food that many of us grew up with, but it’s not always the healthiest choice. Luckily, there’s a healthier alternative that doesn’t sacrifice taste: turkey meatloaf. In this article, we’ll explore what makes turkey meatloaf a healthier option and provide a delicious recipe to try at home.
Why Choose Turkey Meatloaf?
Turkey meatloaf is a healthier alternative to traditional meatloaf made with ground beef. Turkey is leaner than beef and has less saturated fat, making it a great option for those watching their cholesterol levels. Additionally, turkey meatloaf is a great source of protein, which is important for building and repairing muscles.
Recipe: Classic Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a greased baking dish.
- Spread the ketchup on top of the loaf.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- BBQ Turkey Meatloaf: Replace the ketchup with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Italian Turkey Meatloaf: Add Italian seasoning and diced tomatoes to the turkey mixture. Top the loaf with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese before baking.
- Sweet Potato Turkey Meatloaf: Replace the breadcrumbs with mashed sweet potato and add chopped kale to the turkey mixture for extra nutrition.
Turkey meatloaf is a healthy and delicious option for those looking for a comforting meal. This classic dish can be easily customized to suit different tastes and preferences. Try this recipe for a healthier take on traditional meatloaf, and enjoy the satisfying and comforting flavors of this classic dish.