Italian Meatloaf: A Flavorful Combination of Beef and Herbs
Meatloaf is a staple in many households, but have you ever tried an Italian-inspired version? By adding some classic Italian herbs and ingredients, you can give this dish a whole new flavor. Here’s how to make an Italian meatloaf.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- Optional toppings: extra grated Parmesan cheese, chopped fresh herbs
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, salt, black pepper, egg, and 1/4 cup of the marinara sauce. Use your hands to mix everything together until well combined.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into a 9×5 inch loaf pan, making sure to pack it tightly.
- Spread the remaining 1/4 cup of marinara sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf for 50-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Optional: sprinkle extra grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh herbs over the top of the meatloaf before serving.
- Add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers to the meat mixture for added flavor.
- Use ground pork or a combination of ground beef and pork for a different taste.
- Serve with a side of garlic mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
Italian meatloaf is a flavorful twist on a classic comfort food. By adding herbs like parsley, basil, and oregano, along with grated Parmesan cheese, you can give traditional meatloaf an Italian flair. Give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious and savory taste of Italy in every bite.